Taking the plunge...

Hi, Hannah here... currently sat here with a glass of wine wondering how to possibly start this.

Michael and I decided we were going to quit our jobs and travel about 6 months before we actually set off. Although I had dreamed of travelling since school, Michael didn't really share this passion when we first spoke about it. However, speaking to others who had done exactly that, I could see him getting more and more excited.

Arriving in Australia after our 29 hour flight from the UK was a bit of an eye opener. Instead of feeling elated and happy to finally be here, like others mentioned, I had an overwhelming sense of loneliness. Stupid, I know, as I was in no way lonely, but the reality of not seeing any friends or family members for at least 6 months finally hit home. We spent our first few days trying to get accustomed to our new life; sorting out health insurance, opening bank accounts etc (all the fun stuff), yet the elation never really came.

Fast forward a week or so and we finally began to settle into our new lives. We had a plan of action of  what we were going to do and where we were going to visit next. The new chapter had finally begun.

I guess everyone feels differently and all I'm saying is do not get disheartened when all your expectations are not met immediately. Some people find they fall in love with travelling straight away, some people (like us) need a little more time and either is perfectly normal. I'd love to hear about other peoples experiences in the comments below, did you fall in love instantly? Whether it be travelling, finally achieving your dream job, getting into your perfect university? Let us know and keep in touch.







Comments